Manchester United failed to crash the White Hart Lane party, after a narrow, but spirited 2-1 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur in the final game in North London.

A headed goal at the start of the first half from Victor Wanyama was followed by acute flicked effort from Harry Kane at the start of the second half. Wayne Rooney did respond midway through the second half, latching on to a Anthony Martial pull-back, but it wasn’t enough as the Reds fell to defeat.

Fresh from the euphoria of reaching the UEFA Europa League final on Thursday night, boss Jose Mourinho shuffled his pack with the likes of Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Juan Mata and Anthony Martial all coming in. Axel Tuanzebe also started for the second time in the Premier League following his impressive showing last weekend in North London.

With the likes of Jimmy Greaves, Gary Lineker, ‘Gazza’ and more recently Gareth Bale, all having adorned the White Hart Lane turf over the years, their was an emotional atmosphere before kick off as Spurs celebrated the end of their 118 year home – declaring this one as ‘The Finale’.

After beating West Ham in the final game at Upton Park last season, United, should have arrived in North London knowing all to well how to deal with emotional occasions such as these.

But Spurs took the led with their first attempt at goal after just six minutes as a short corner found Ben Davies who crossed for Wanyama to send a free header past De Gea from five yards.

Mata had a chance to respond a minute later, but he headed over, before Rooney did the same following a Daley Blind corner.

Rooney then held off Eric Dier in the centre of the field, before curling a ball with the outside of his foot for Martial to chase. The Frenchman shrugged off Toby Alderweireld, but his curling effort drifted narrowly wide.

At the other end Heung-Min Son evaded the path of three United defenders and should have beaten De Gea when one-on-one, but the Spaniard came to the Reds aid, palming away.

Read more…